[BBLISA] RE: storevault / netapp

Peter Galvin pbg at cptech.com
Wed Feb 27 13:41:32 EST 2008

Well, now you've gone and opened up a whole new can of worms. :-)

It is absolutely not the case that hardware RAID has across the board lower
risk of data corruption, with or without caching. Caching usually increases
speed, as you say.

Take a look at this article if you want to be scared about data corruption,
even when using hardware RAID:
http://storagemojo.com/2007/09/19/cerns-data-corruption-research/

Theoretically, ZFS has much better data integrity than other file systems /
volume managers / RAID controllers because it checksums all data and all
metadata, all the time. Nothing else (that I know of) does this.

--Peter

Blog: http://pbgalvin.wordpress.com