[BBLISA] storevault / netapp

Jon Young jon at drboom.com
Wed Feb 27 13:03:25 EST 2008

> Asynchronous replication, using snapshots.  You have a
> regular volume on one filer, and then a (read-only)
> snapmirror copy of it on another filer somewhere else.  The
> copy is always "intact" even though it may be some number of
> minutes "behind" the primary.  You can stop replication and
> make the copy read-write, etc.  It's a key piece of our
> disaster-recovery plan.
We were not using our storevaults with snapmirror but my understanding is
that snapmirror is fully supported on storevaults with the significant
limitation that they can only mirror other storevaults and not 'real'
netapps.  A key limitation in my utilization is the inability to do uid
mapping from nfs/cifs volumes so a volume must be one or the other.  The
other limitation for us was the lack of documentation and support forcing us
to do things that are unsupported via the command line with the worry that
we would receive no support or that the required feature would be broken in
a new version of the O/S.

I found the level of incompetence of the support group tough to handle but
for the price, the storevault was very valuable for storage I didn't need
the full support and reliability of a 'real' netapp.

Jon