[BBLISA] RE: storevault / netapp

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Tue Feb 26 21:33:58 EST 2008

>   The storevault is running a somewhat tweaked ontap. The version we
>   had, we could ssh into and run the normal ontap commands. But this
>   was *unsupported* and they weren't very happy with us for it.
>
> Though it worked, I probably wouldn't buy one again. It felt like
> netapp hamstrung it to encourage people to buy up market.

Several people have essentially alluded to the storevault as sort of a
teaser for up market netapp products.  I'm not sure I agree -

I think that Data ONTAP is, or was, a software product available to
purchase, if you could get it to run on some other hardware.  I think that
storevault as a company made their business by building sata systems,
cheaper than the regular netapp products, and out-compete netapp at their
own game, in the SMB market.  So netapp boughtout storevault.

The things that attract me to this product are - low cost (sata disks, 12
slots) - snapshotting - dual parity - expand on the fly.  I think you can
get snapshotting from sun, but can you do dualparity or expand on the fly?

I would be totally happy with the product, if only they had delivered my
replacement parts within the 4 hour window I paid for.

I wonder - is anyone in the same category as me?  Totally happy with it,
except for the failure of support to get the system back up promptly after
failure?