[BBLISA] storevault / netapp

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Tue Feb 26 11:08:54 EST 2008

> Question:  we're a big NetApp customer.  When might we think about a
> storevault instead of / in addition to their regular line?  (that is,
> if things work out ok with your support issues...)

It's an easy question.  If you're already a netapp customer, you probably
won't use storevault for anything.

Storevault is the entry level product.  Max 12 disks, max 4Tb.  The data
ontap it uses is "storevault edition," which is theoretically the same data
ontap as the regular netapp, but because you're paying less for it, you get
less support.  Only the most mainstream functions are supported.

CIFS, NFS, Active Directory, NIS.  That's it.  Of course all the usual
features are supported, snapshotting, dual parity, hotspare, ndmp, file
system expansion on the fly.

The storevault is only for small businesses, which don't require more than
that.  If you need more than 4 Tb, there is no option for additional DAS.
So then the main series netapp is a better fit.