[BBLISA] Cluster fun

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Tue Feb 5 16:25:35 EST 2008

David Allan <dave at dpallan.com> writes:

> I have to disagree here.  I've run Linux on cheap and not-so-cheap Dell
> hardware extensively for over a decade.  Of course, as with any Linux box,

    Unless I'm really confused, a trivial google search shows more
than one company selling 1U linux machines for just over half the
cheapest roughly equivelent 1U I could find clicking around on dell's
website for two minutes. There was a viable looking AMD based dell
option that was $100 cheaper, but all of the gray box vendors I found
w/o looking hard were selling celeryon systems, so I ignored that one.
Having recently bought a desktop AMD system from a graybox vendor who
was also offering celeryons, I'd expect the price drop for going AMD
in a 1U to be comparable.