[BBLISA] Cluster fun

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Tue Feb 5 14:37:55 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> If you want to run linux, you can't use optiplex, latitude, vostro, etc.
> You have to get into servers, or possibly precision, which are more
> expensive.

I have to disagree here.  I've run Linux on cheap and not-so-cheap Dell
hardware extensively for over a decade.  Of course, as with any Linux box,
you have to be careful not to spec some peripheral that's Windows only,
but my experience with Dell has been that they have quite good Linux
coverage.  I'm writing this from my Dell Latitude D600 with builtin
wireless networking; my stereo has an original Latitude LX with an add-on
wireless card and internal audio.  I've used optiplex as my primary
desktop as well.  Of course, I've used my share of whiteboxen, too.

Dave