[BBLISA] windows disk diagnostics

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 18:48:09 EST 2008

So.... I just booted my Windows XP system and it decided that one of
the disks is corrupted.  So it ran chkdsk/scandsk, splatting text on
the screen.  Luckily I was actually at my computer and saw the text
output (and took notes.)
Anyone know if that text is actually saved somewhere?
I've poked around in system logs by going to My Computer->Manage->Event Viewer
While I saw the statement that it thought that H: was corrupt, it
didn't say any more than that.

Am I to believe that they will validate a drive, list files which were
corrupted... and punish people who go to the bathroom while they boot
their system and don't see the message?

I'm also interested in any suggestions for programs that scan/correct
disk drive issues.  Heck, I'm willing to *pay* for the tool, so free
or commercial is just fine.

Giving minimal info to the user from such tools is just wrong (some
tools should not be dumped down to be usable by "average" users.)

Now I'm off to look at my home backups.....

Eric