[BBLISA] NIS logins - directory doesn't seem to appear

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Sep 20 16:02:34 EDT 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I'm in the home stretch of recreating my working test environment with Samba
> and NIS/NFS working from the same server (RHEL 5 Server) and CentOS 5/ WinXP
> w/SP2 as clients.
>
> Samba works perfectly as a PDC.
>
> I was able to succcessfully initiate a ypyinit -s server on the client and the
> dtaa came through fine, and accounts on the server were created, but when I try
> to log in to a client (all on the production side), CentOS complains the
> yp-based account /home/testuer doesn't seem to exist and threatens to log me in
> as root.

This is where you create an automounter map that mounts the home
directory when the user logs in. The homedir will be something like
/autofs/<username> or some such instead of the standard
/home/<username>.  Don't move the automounter mountpoint to /home,
otherwise you'll get confused with real local accounts, like root, or
software accounts.

		--Dean

617 344 9000