[BBLISA] NIS logins - directory doesn't seem to appear

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 20 09:48:11 EDT 2007

I'm in the home stretch of recreating my working test environment with Samba
and NIS/NFS working from the same server (RHEL 5 Server) and CentOS 5/ WinXP
w/SP2 as clients.

Samba works perfectly as a PDC.

I was able to succcessfully initiate a ypyinit -s server on the client and the
dtaa came through fine, and accounts on the server were created, but when I try
to log in to a client (all on the production side), CentOS complains the
yp-based account /home/testuer doesn't seem to exist and threatens to log me in
as root.

I got past this during my test trials by adding +:: related lines in /etc/group
and /etc/passwd on the client.   Repeating this on a production client doesn't
seem to have any effect.

I have been through the
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php?Quick_How... document several
times with no luck.

I'm working with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of CentOS (if that makes any
difference).

Insights welcome.

Thanks.

Scott