[BBLISA] New cell phone recommendation?

Sean OMeara someara at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:02:09 EDT 2007

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think you're trying to
make an apple/orange smoothy.

If I understand correctly what you wrote, you're looking to have the
following happen:

* Device in your wife's pocket attached to the number 555-555-5555
either:

a) * Someone dials 555-555-5555. Instead of the phone ringing, they
get a pager prompt (beepbeepbeep), to which they leave a callabck
number with the keypad
or
b) * Someone dials 555-555-5555. The phone rings as normal. Instead of
voicemail, they get a pager prompt (beepbeepbeep), to which they leave
a callback number with a keypad.

* This number shows up in a list on the device's display, with an easy
interface for to dial the number back.

I believe motorola tried something like this in the early 90's but it
failed miserably.

Modern cell phones are simply not equipped to receive "pages" in the
same way a traditional Doogie Houser/ Tribe Called Quest style pager
does.

These paging systems have to listen for, decode, and translate DTMF
tones from input via an fqdn line or simulated from a cellphone and
then "beam" them out to all pagers listening on the band, which your
pager picks up very much like a nic listening on a hub.

http://www.refreq.com/braddye/pager.html
http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/frequencies/pager-freq.shtml

This is completely and totally different than "text messages" which is
market speak for SMS, which runs atop of digital gsm/cdma/tdma systems

http://www.gsm-technology.com/gsm.php/en,unlock,subpage_id,smsfaq.html

This is, of course, different than email, which is fetched via
pop/imap/whatever and sent via smtp over an IP network, which I'm sure
you're familiiar with.

Verison does not, as far as I'm aware of, sell a device that can tune
into the old, antediluvian paging system (I've been waiting like a
year to use that word. heh.)

Pretty much all modern cell phones can send and receive SMS (text messages)

Verizon's treo will allow you to establish an IP connection to the
internet and use palm or wince based apps to access Email, as well as
work with SMS messages, but not "pages"

-s