[BBLISA] Re: untested backups

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Mon Nov 19 13:54:17 EST 2007

Brian O'Neill wrote:

> "r" is to restore the whole filesystem. A checkpoint file is
> maintained (restoresymtable I believe) that allows for restoring a
> full dump, then incrementals, and properly removing files that no
> longer existed at the time of the incremental. This is what you want
> to use if you are restoring the whole filesystem, especially if you
> need to restore a set of incrementals.

This must be a new feature of the -r option.  Because no version of
restore I've ever used could do that.  Use to be restore would get you a
superset of files, all the files, + all the deleted files picked up on
the restore unless there was a name collision.  Which use to cause
problems when you where trying to restore an almost full disk.

johno