[BBLISA] Re: untested backups

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Mon Nov 19 13:15:18 EST 2007

It's been years since I've used dump/restore, and I can't say I've used
it on Linux, but as far as I know its still got its BSD roots.

"i", "x" and "r" should be mutually exclusive options.

"i" is for an interactive restore, where you can pick and choose files
and directories.

"x" is to extract either everything or a named path. I rarely used this
option.

"r" is to restore the whole filesystem. A checkpoint file is maintained
(restoresymtable I believe) that allows for restoring a full dump, then
incrementals, and properly removing files that no longer existed at the
time of the incremental. This is what you want to use if you are
restoring the whole filesystem, especially if you need to restore a set
of incrementals.

restore always extracted to current directory.

It looks like Linux also supports a -N option, which will not actually
write to any files on the filesystem.