[BBLISA] dump or Legato Networker?

Steven M Jones bblisa-in at crash.com
Tue Nov 13 19:34:58 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 06:44:02PM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> What I'd like to find out, and I just haven't man'ed it yet, is if I can
> perform a view/list of dumped files, and maybe restore one or two
> files/directories to test, without having to restore everything.

I would still recommend restoring a full volume of average size if you
haven't done so previously. I'd even spend the time on a script to
compare checksums between what was restored and the source.

"restore -ivf /dev/tape" -- interactive mode -- is a nice way to walk
through the backup and select a few files or directories to restore for
comparison. I used to use it all the time to fulfill user requests, in
places I wasn't using Amanda or Networker.

There is a "-t" option for restore, at least on BSD, so you can probably
dump a listing of what's on the tape or dump file if that's what you're
after.

If you're at LISA, there's probably a session or three on this very
topic...

--S.