[BBLISA] Galaxy Internet Services?

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Wed May 30 23:03:44 EDT 2007

Bob Keyes wrote:
> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> Does anyone subscribe to Galaxy Internet Services...
>> If so, what are your thoughts/insights/experiences?
>
> I found them to be cheap, noisy, and the only people with clue were
> hard to get a hold of and rude. But that's ten years ago...

I never dealt with them personally, but that was the impression I had of
them as well back in the dial-up era based on what people said about them.

> My more recent, ongoing, and worse experience is with their VoIP
> department, GalaxyVoice. I paid these people $24.95 for their special
> 'lifetime' unlimited incoming calls program. ... Yet they charge
> some $2 and change per month. I refused to pay...

A friend of mine experienced this same scenario.

> What this tells me is: schlock organization. Either incompetent...
> I have expressed as much when it comes to their attempts to enter the muni
> wifi market

Given these data points, I was rather disappointed to hear that Galaxy
won the contract to install city-wide WiFi services in Newton.

Benjamin Cline wrote:
> ...I think it's interesting that they're offering
> FIOS, which usually requires fiber to the premises. I wonder if they're
> reselling Verizon's FIOS...

I'd be surprised if FIOS wasn't a term trademarked by Verizon, so if GIS
is referring to it as FIOS (anyone have a URL?), it must be a reseller
arrangement.

If that's the case, then the question is: is GIS tech support any more
incompetent than Verizon? It may be a wash.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA