[BBLISA] Galaxy Internet Services?

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Wed May 30 20:52:25 EDT 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> Does anyone subscribe to Galaxy Internet Services (www.gis.net) FIOS and/or DSL
> residential service?  If so, what are your thoughts/insights/experiences?

I can speak of GIS from a couple of points of view. My first, is from the
view of a NOC technician at XCOM, where they outsourced their dialup
service ten years ago (not sure if they currently do). I found them to be
cheap, noisy, and the only people with clue were hard to get a hold of and
rude. But that's ten years ago - I don't know how much it has to do with
today.

My more recent, ongoing, and worse experience is with their VoIP
department, GalaxyVoice. I paid these people $24.95 for their special
'lifetime' unlimited incoming calls program. It was supposed to mean that
for the rest of my life, I would get incoming calls for free, no additonal
fees required. I believe they still offer this service. Yet they charge
some $2 and change per month. I refused to pay, and had an ongoing
arguement with various GalaxyVoice people in email regarding what I signed
up for and why I was being billed. Eventually, they cancelled my account
for non-payment of this money, and then started sending threatening
collection letters after me. I have sent them an email each time they send
me a demand letter, telling them to go screw and why, and what's I'd do if
they didn't. It's been about six months since they tried to squeeze their
money out of me. I don't know if that means they've finally given up or
they're going to send me another demand letter.

What this tells me is: schlock organization. Either incompetent, or
criminal, possibly both. I heartily disrecommend doing business with them.
I have expressed as much when it comes to their attempts to enter the muni
wifi market

I know that people tend to only get heated up and give bad reviews about
service. A company which provides reasonable service doesn't usually get
good reviews. So, to make up for the bad review of the above company, I
will say that by comparison, all of my dealings with Comcast have been
satisfactory or better.

-Bob