[BBLISA] FYI: Solaris ufsdump/restore bug

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Mar 26 17:53:26 EDT 2007

I don't know if anyone practices the old ways anymore, but it used to be
common practice to upgrade to a bigger disk by doing a dump 0f -
<oldpart> | (cd <new part mount>; restore xf -)

Since about Solaris 10, this appears not to work for some reason.

This discussion was the closest I could come to anyone else having this
problem:

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.unix.solaris/2005-12/msg02005.html

These people thought they were having a problem with the volume manager,
but I had the exact same symptoms with UFS.   I noticed an abort, too,
at the end of the restore.  It turned out that the md5 driver file was
actually missing (their symptom, too) from the restore.  When this
module is missing, solaris will eventually panic.

On further examination, I found that a ufsdump to a file, followed by a
restore from the file works fine on opensolaris (solaris 11). (BTW,
kudos to Sun on opening up solaris source. Now, if only they will open
up the glm scsi driver and ffb/afb drivers....

I have a build of opensolaris--its easy, and the backup commands source
is provided, so someone could try to look into this.  Fixing this is not
a high priority for me at present, so if anyone decides to look into it,
let me know.  I have some hunches as to what it could be.

Someone who still has a newsfeed and would kindly repost this to
comp.unix.solaris is appreciated.

Thanks,

		--Dean

617 344 9000