[BBLISA] Internet service and power outages?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Sat Jun 30 09:13:29 EDT 2007

I too have reason to believe that the cable/network equipment out there has
battery backup.  Both at my house, and at my Dad's house, the vonage phone
(and internet) continue to work despite moderate power outages.  I don't
think it would stay on for days on end though.

That being said, certain types of events are still liable to take the
systems down.  Remember that fire (they thought was a bomb at first) at One
Broadway in Kendall Sq, about 8 months ago?  I support offices in that
building and across the street, who use SIP trunking commercial services.
When the emergency crews arrived to the scene, they shut down all the
electronics everywhere, cut power to the grid, and everything stopped.  So a
battery backup in the offices there didn't save me from anything.

For home I use vonage, and cell phone backup.  For offices I use SIP
trunking, and one copper line for 911 backup.