[BBLISA] Streaming audio from CentOS 4.4?

Dave Pascoe km3t at km3t.org
Wed Feb 14 08:50:40 EST 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a vhf/uhf scanner at home I want to pipe the audio from into a
> PC's mic connection and listen at work.
>
> After a lot of trial and error last night trying to get things to work,
> I finally gave up and went to sleep.  This morning, I performed a
> last-ditch attempt for Windows streaming server, came across Windows
> Media Encoder from Microsoft's site, installed it on my XP Home laptop,
> and in minutes, was up and streaming.
>
> Not a Linux solution, but I wanted to report how I got things working.

Not sure why you couldn't get it to work under Linux.  Icecast works
fine under Linux.  If you're trying to do the feeding and serving on the
same machine, use Darkice (http://darkice.tyrell.hu/) to feed the stream
into Icecast.  If you are using Linux for serving and Windows for
feeding into Icecast, then use Stream Transcoder - see:
http://www.oddsock.org/tools/streamTranscoderV3/

You'll need the LAME libs installed to get Icecast to do MP3 streaming.
  Out of the box it does Ogg Vorbis (but also requires the libvorbis
libs to be present, IIRC).

I run a large network of interconnected Icecast servers to stream ATC
communications from a site I founded a few years ago
(http://www.liveatc.net) and it is a truly solid streaming platform.
Deployed on FreeBSD and Linux with a variety of clients feeding into the
system.  A great open source software success story - the Icecast and
Darkice authors have done a fabulous job.

-dave