[BBLISA] RedHat vs CentOS

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Sat Dec 29 16:22:18 EST 2007

> Since I know EL5 and C5 are the same,

Not exactly true - EL5 and C5 are remarkably similar.  Remarkably, but not
exact.  RedHat does in fact develop a little bit of proprietary code, which
is not available in Centos.  In most cases this doesn't matter, but I have a
couple of specific examples where Centos couldn't quite make it - If you
have a Dell server, you really want to install the OpenManage Managed Node
on it.  So you can do things like check the disk health, silence an alarm,
and ensure assignment of global hotspare, etc.  Dell OMSA Managed Node can't
install on centos.  Because RedHat and Dell have some sort of partnership
exclusive.  The code is not FOSS.

What I recommend to people is - If you buy Dell, buy RedHat with it.  Then
you'll know it's supported (not that you'll use a support center, but that
all the proper drivers etc have been developed and are preinstalled, etc.)
If you're using generic black boxes (favorite chassis color) then use the
generic OS.