[BBLISA] Help with dump/restore

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Fri Dec 28 10:34:56 EST 2007

Since you are using the "no rewind" tape device, did you rewind the tape
before attempting to do the restore?

You need to track the "files" that are at what position on the tape,
where each "file" is a dump set. Given the two commands you ran, the
dump of /var/log is the first file, and the dump of /home is the second
file. After the two dumps, the tape is positioned at the end of the
second file, ready to write number three.

If you want to restore something from the first file, you need to rewind
the tape first:

     mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

Then issue your restore as usual. If you want to restore from the second
file (and you are CERTAIN you know where you are on the tape), you can
skip forward or backwards X files by using either:

     mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf X (for forward)
     mt -f /dev/nst0 bsf X (for backwards)

Since I'm never CERTAIN where I might be on a tape, I always rewind,
then skip forward. So if I wanted the second file:

     mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
     mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1

and then do the restore.

Note that if you intend to write more files to the tape, you need to
position the tape after the last file, or it will overwrite files from
the position it is already in - and anything after that is in general
lost (even though you may not have actually overwritten the data in a
later file).

Looks like mt in Linux has added a few shortcuts:

     mt -f /dev/nst0 asf X

will do a rewind and then skip forward X files (helpful to think of the
files as numbered starting at 0, so X is the file number itself)

     mt -f /dev/nst0 eom

should bring you to the end of the last file (to append more).