[BBLISA] PDA/Smartphone for *nix admin types?

Eric J. Hansen ehansen at worldmachine.com
Sun Dec 16 15:45:01 EST 2007

Back in May I acquired a T-Mobile Wing (aka HTC Herald) with essentially
that same set of requirements - to receive emails and SMS notifications,
remotely monitor/investigate/diagnose/control systems, etc. The Wing is a
cell phone + PDA that is the successor to the T-Mobile MDA, and runs
Windows Mobile 6 "professional" (i.e. includes Office Mobile).  The device
has both a touch-screen with a slide out qwerty keyboard - both took me
some time getting used to since I'd never owned a PDA or a smartphone
before.

I'm currently running ssh (pocketputty), RDP and VNC clients (these all
happen to be free, but many other apps/tools are not).  The built-in
Pocket Outlook app is decent - it does POP and IMAP, and is also the
interface for SMS/MMS reading/sending.  The built-in "PIE" web browser
(pocket IE) is marginal, but made considerably better with 3rd party
add-ons that give enhancements like tabbed-browsing, etc.  WM has a "task
scheduler" not unlike the one on the desktop OS - with a 3rd party app
(e.g. MemMaid) you can set up and tweak your own scheduled tasks, etc.

Overall, the device/service hasn't been without quirks and problems, and
some have been quite frustrating.  But once I got things set up the way I
wanted it's been pretty good.  You can also plug it into your laptop via
USB for Internet connectivity...  i.e. for train trips, etc.

HTH,
Eric