[BBLISA] filesystems supporting snapshots

Arthur Gaer gaer at math.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 22 19:23:35 EDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Robert Huff wrote:

> Peter Galvin writes:
>
>>  Or of course you can build a low cost NAS using ZFS - just use
>>  Solaris 10.
>
> 	Since ZFS is now available for FreeBSD, it is probably
> available for Linux?

The next version of MacOS X, Leopard (a/k/a 10.5) has been rumored
for some time to contain support for ZFS.

I've seen some "clarification" that ZFS support in Leopard will be
"read-only", at least initially, i.e. it will be able to read a ZFS
filesystem if it's attached to a Mac, but it won't be able to write
to it nor boot from it.

However, I've seen more recent rumors that at least some developers
have been seeded with full read/write versions of ZFS on some Leopard
betas--though I don't think any of those support ZFS as a boot
filesystem.

Nevertheless, might full (non-boot) support for ZFS appear in Leopard
in the not-to-distant future?  Perhaps for the server version of
MacOS X?  Matched with an upgraded XServe RAID that might not be a
bad lower-cost NAS/NFS server implementation, with, I now see, NetApp
like snapshots.

Arthur Gaer
gaer at math.harvard.edu

Senior Systems Manager, Department of Mathematics
Harvard University, 617-495-1610, FAX: 617-495-5132