[BBLISA] RAID storage - SATA, SCSI, or Fibre Channel?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Tue Aug 21 04:30:47 EDT 2007

If you have a poweredge 2950, then you have a perc 5 card, no doubt.  If
your internal drive slots (front of the machine) are all maxed out, I think
you need to buy another perc card to control something external.

I don't think fibre channel is in use for these, unless you were to use some
sort of SAN.  In which case, I'm sure you have no choice about underlying
hardware.

If you're buying DAS from dell, I think your choices are SATA vs SAS.  For a
small number of disks, there are performance improvements with SAS, but if
you're putting a whole bunch of disks into an array together, both the SATA
and SAS disks will max out the 3Gb bus.  So then you might as well save the
money and go with SATA.  That's what I do, and that's what I recommend.