[BBLISA] RHEL5 Server and system-config python breakage

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 2 16:12:28 EDT 2007

I just installed RHEL 5 Server and tweaked it just as I wanted it. During the
process I used system-config-services to enable/disable services as needed.  I
reboot.

Upon startup, the OS initially claims a system problem and asks for the root
password for an fsck or CNTL-D.  I just CNTL-D since I know the system is good.
After a forced reboot from that, I get python errors, but eventually get back
to the GUI login screen.

After I log in as root, I invoke a terminal session and type
system-config-services.  This time, I get python breakage messages and services
will not run.   I try other system-config options and they come up fine.

I reboot again, only receive microcode warnings (usual), no python errors, but
again, system-config-services is broken.

This is on a PowerEdge 2950 and stock install of Enterprise 5 Server 64-bit
from CDs, no patching, no network connection.

What could have caused the python breakage after I used services once to tweak
various daemons?

Thanks for any insight.   Unless someone comes up with something obvious, I'd
rather rebuild than parse logs looking for possibly no answer.

Anyone else experience this kind of thing?

Thanks again.

Scott