[BBLISA] Knoppix and dd limitations

Scott R Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 27 10:43:24 EDT 2006

I downloaded the newest (5.0.1) version of Knoppix live on DVD.

I've successfully mounted a Windows share on a Knoppix DVD boot for a dual-boot
hard drive I want to image.   During the imaging process, dd keeps producing a
file size limitation when hitting the 2.097G mark.   I'm using the basic dd
if=/dev/sda of=/mount_point

Windows XP was installed with NTFS, and Linux is RHEL4 with default options.

How do I get around the file size limitation?

Would cpio be better?   If so, what would be the recommended command line?

Thanks for any insight.

Scott