[BBLISA] DNS v. /etc/hosts with Oracle 10g RAC (on Solaris 10)

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Sep 21 22:21:46 EDT 2006

I haven't used Oracle 10g RAC, but I can tell you this:

The Solaris c library resolver uses the NSS switch to select between
/etc/hosts, dns, nis, nis+ etc.  Oracle has never previously supplied
its own resolver. I don't know why they would start now.  So, unless
Oracle has changed to use its own resolver (unlikely, but one should
perhaps check), choice doesn't matter for mere operation, since the
Oracle programs doesn't "know" your selection.  The Oracle executables
use the c library, and the c library does the "right thing" per the
system administrator. Your Groups 1 and 2 are both right.

However, the following general issues, which apply to all applications,
ought to be considered. (I suspect this is the basis for your third
group's concerns):

DNS can be spoofed fairly easily. There is a only a 16 bit identifier
which is used to match query with response.  If the spoofer hits the
right number before the real dns server responds, they win. This isn't
hard or even easilly noticable on a fast or gig ethernet. By contrast,
/etc/hosts can't be spoofed, so it is most secure, but harder to
maintain over a lot of hosts. NIS+ is also secure, but tedious. NIS is
to be avoided like plague.

Fortunately, the NSS allows one to combine multiple services in a
particular order.

Hope that helps.

		--Dean