[BBLISA] Pros and cons of NIS

Bill Smith wsmith at chezsmith.com
Tue Oct 3 18:12:42 EDT 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:59:43 -0400, Sean Lutner wrote:

>If you want a better central naming service/authentication system,
>I'd recommend deploying an LDAP directory service. There are easy to
>use tools out there to accomplish NIS to LDAP migrations and LDAP can
>be made very secure through the use of SSL and client configuration
>is very easy.
>
>I do a lot of directory service work for various companies and it's
>been my experience that LDAP is the way to go.

Can you recommend any tool(s) in particular that might make the task of
shifting from NIS to LDAP authorization synchronizing from Active
Directory a little easier?

  William Smith                  wsmith-at-chezsmith-dot-com
  Fall River, MA                 http://www.chezsmith.com

   "4) Bobby Flay is coming to your house to tape an episode
       of 'Food Nation' so you thoughtfully replace your
   'Welcome' mat with a large wooden cutting board."  -- From
     the Top 12 Signs You've Been Watching Too Much FoodTV
                         * TAG!  v3.2 *