[BBLISA] Pros and cons of NIS

Sean Lutner sean at rentul.net
Tue Oct 3 13:59:43 EDT 2006

NIS has been end of lifed by Sun and by the end of this year or next
year they won't support it anymore. In my experience, NIS is hard to
make very secure (by default it is very insecure), fails for
seemingly no reason and is a pain to fix, there are too many system
services needed to run NIS.

If you want a better central naming service/authentication system,
I'd recommend deploying an LDAP directory service. There are easy to
use tools out there to accomplish NIS to LDAP migrations and LDAP can
be made very secure through the use of SSL and client configuration
is very easy.

I do a lot of directory service work for various companies and it's
been my experience that LDAP is the way to go.

Sean