[BBLISA] Suggestions for temporary point to point link?

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Fri May 12 11:59:48 EDT 2006

On 5/12/06, Marc Richman <dubious at postdiluvian.org> wrote:

>  We are moving our company about 550 meters to the left(facing the
>  front of the building), and plan on moving our data center in a
>  staggered fashion over the course of many weeks.  We would like
>  to set up a point to point link between the sites so we can span
>  our vlans across both sites to ease the pain of moving way to
>  many machines.
>
>  We haven't been able to find anybody to lease us a line for three
>  months for a reasonable price, and are looking at alternatives
>
>  RF looks like it might be a possibility. Does anybody have any
>  advice/pointers/experience with any of this type of gear?
>
>      The distance is less than 550 meters
>      We need at least a 100Mb link
>      We do not have line of sight
>      we don't need the link for longer than 3 months

Do you have a right of way between the two locations? i.e. Can you run
fiber or TP between them?  If so, you may want to look into the myriad
of fiber-optic and twisted-pair ethernet extenders that can be used to
bridge two LANs.

Try (fiber optic ethernet extender) in your favorite search engine.

  - Paul Beltrani