[BBLISA] CoLo near waltham/lexington

sgw at wadlow.net sgw at wadlow.net
Tue Mar 14 13:46:43 EST 2006

(I originally responded to Grant, when I meant to respond to the list.
Still getting used to
squirrelmail as an occasional alternative to a "real" MUA.  Sorry about
that!)

> I'll second MCI in Billerica.  Security is good and in the almost two
> years I've been managing a colo there I've never had any avaliability
> problems.  It looks very well managed from my perspective and the people
> there are helpful and professional.  It might be relatively expensive.

Are you stuck using MCI's network, or can you get on something that
doesn't suck? This is a problem with the AT&T facility in waltham.

> I used the facility that I guess is now Internap in Charlestown when it
> was Hosting.com.  I think its weakness then was a single Internet
> connection (lack of diversity).  They might have fixed it now.  It's a
> good location if you need a location you can get to by T or car.

They had a number of other problems, most notably a very instable
powerplant, in spite of being on multiple grids.    There have been other
problems for which I'm not willing to trust that facility.

> I think there are some colos in downtown Boston in the former Jordan
> Marsh building but I think parking is an issue.

That's mainly a carrier hotel more than anything.   I keep trying to get
in there, but it's not that easy

However, that is one of the interconnect points for the "new" boston MXP -
http://www.bmxp.net/ There are a bunch of us trying to get this back to
life.   If you've got a
need to exchange traffic with other Boston-area companies, you'll be able
to do it more
cheaply/efficiently through the MXP, instead of having to send all your
traffic via Virginia or
Chicago.   We're still in the process of getting it ramped up again, but
the more people who are connected to it, the better the overall net
goodness.  (yes, there are typos on the webpage.   working on that... :) )

         -steve