[BBLISA] iSCSI - opinions / experiences?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Jun 15 16:42:01 EDT 2006

There was a nifty presentation at a BBLISA a while back on iSCSI.  Did they
leave this presentation somewhere?

I'm not real enthused about iSCSI, but vendors like EMC that make giant disk
farms are promoting it.  I supposed if I owned a multi-terra EMC array, I might
be more interested...

But I think Adam got the distinction down. iSCSI gives you block devices that
aren't shared, but are network-remote.  NFS gives you network-remote file
sharing.  Both approaches can be used to create diskless computers...

Which is good for you depends a lot on what you need to do with your big disk
farm, and whether you even want to create/buy a big disk farm.

		--Dean