[BBLISA] Spam filtering and DNSBL, SBL/XBL?

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Sun Jan 15 14:22:50 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 06:58:08AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> My domain provider, pair.net, offers, among other features, the optional
> use of SA DNSBL and SA SBL/XBL for spam filtering.
> I have not heard of these methods before.  What are your experiences with
> them for handling spam?

SBL/XBL (http://www.spamhaus.org/) tends to work pretty well.  From a recent
SpamAssassin development run, XBL looks to be much more useful than the SBL,
but you can query both at the same time so there's no additional overhead for
getting the results of both.

"DNSBL" is a generic term for DNS Black Lists, some of which are better than
others.  They've generically been around for years.

Overall, they generally help catching spam.  URIBL (URI Black Lists) are the
latest version which also help out a lot.

Theo Van Dinter, tvd at bblisa.org/felicity at kluge.net
Systems Administrator, bblisa.org/kluge.net