[BBLISA] Enterprise user account naming standards?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Feb 17 14:51:09 EST 2006

Douglas> Adam S. Moskowitz <adamm at menlo.com> wrote:
>> Bruce Davis <ayden at mixolydian.org> asks:

>> > What user account naming standard do you use?

>> I don't. Specifically, I let users pick their own usernames.

Douglas> Gee, I guess I live in an ivory tower, but it never even
Douglas> occurred to me disallow users from selecting their own
Douglas> usernames, within the bounds of decency and OS restrictions.
Douglas> It still rankles me that my online bank requires me to log on
Douglas> with some obscure account number.  Like I really need to have
Douglas> some obscure and different username for every one of my
Douglas> 932432432 different accounts?

It depends on how anal the company/school is.  When I worked at a Uni,
we let users ask for user names, but we pointed out "did they really
want _that_ username on their resume when applying for jobs?" which
got them to mostly choose something sane.

Though 'peaches' is still a favorite of silly choices.

John