[BBLISA] Anyone running a "secure FTP server?

Eddy Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Aug 10 15:08:05 EDT 2006

I use sftp for almost everything.

There is an excellent free sftp gui client for Windows called WinSCP.
If you change the checkbox from "norton commander" to "windows explorer
mode" then you can drag & drop files to and from the server as if you were
browsing your local file system.  Very intuitive and friendly.

Basic setup could not be easier.  You just install an ssh server, and
un-comment the line in the config file that says "subsystem sftp" or
something like that.

Question is, do you need any of the difficult configuration stuff?

For example, if you want sftp inside a jail so users can only see their own
directory.  Installing the jail might be difficult.

Also, if you want sftp available, while ssh is not available, that might be
difficult too.

If you want usernames & home directories that are not usernames &
directories on the unix/linux/windows server, that might be difficult.