[BBLISA] Local source for UPS batteries?

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Mon Apr 24 12:16:53 EDT 2006

Dean Anderson wrote:
> Its that time again, I need some TC-1290S batteries.  Anyone know of a local
> (Boston vicinity) source for these?

I presume TC-1290S is a UPS vendor's model number for a repackaged
battery or battery pack? To widen your options you'll want to determine
the specifications of the batteries you want and source them that way,
rather than though the USP vendor. The batteries are generally far
cheaper that way as well.

Under the assumption that it costs a lot to ship lead, I tried sourcing
some replacement UPS batteries locally a few years ago, and did find a
vendor in RI that carried the particular brand I was looking for, but
their pricing was actually worse than mail ordering them and paying for
shipping.

If you're looking for local simply for speed and convenience, then it
shouldn't be too tough to find a distributor that stocks sealed lead
acid (SLA) batteries locally. This URL:

http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byP/batP/batt/btora/bType/slead/byB/mfg/byN/byName.shtml

may be handy for finding SLA manufacturers, or start with whatever
vendor made the batteries in the UPS you have and check their web site
for local distributors. (CSB Battery Technologies
(http://www.csb-battery.com/) is a popular UPS choice. I prefer getting
replacements manufactured from BBBattery (http://www.bb-battery.com/) as
they offer higher amp-hour models with the same physical dimensions as
standard models.)

On the retail side of things, You-Do-It Electronics
(http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/) in Needham used to stock some SLAs.

If you want to optimize for price, mail order might be the way to go.
I've bought from these vendors in the past:

http://www.batterybattery.com/
http://www.electricrider.com/

and also have these in my bookmarks:

http://www.action-electronics.com/sla.htm
http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/ups-batteries.html

The last one even has an index by UPS model, so you don't need battery
specs, but their pricing isn't so great.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA