[BBLISA] Re: RHEL and Windows simultaneously?

Eddy Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Apr 13 08:07:08 EDT 2006

I think all he meant was -- some tools run better on some platforms.  For
example, if you run cadence design software, you should use either solaris
or rhel 3.  You should not use rhel 4, and you positively cannot use
windows.

Likewise, vmware's natural environment is inside of linux.  Even though
they've ported it to run inside of windows, it's commonly accepted as the
"natural" environment to run a virtual windows inside of linux, rather than
the other way around.

Even so, everyone has bias in one way or another, preferring one product
over another in different situations.  I, for example, prefer cisco
firewalls instead of sonicwall firewalls, based on my personal experiences
with both.

There's value in bias, as long as it stops short of extremism.

FWIW, I personally feel that linux is generally a more stable os than
windows (requires less frequent reboots) but the applications in linux are
generally not as stable as the windows applications.  (gimp is inferior to
photoshop, and openoffice is inferior to ms office.)