[BBLISA] Re: RHEL and Windows simultaneously?

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.COM
Wed Apr 12 16:00:44 EDT 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, at 0807 , nmeyers at javalinux.net wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:39:05AM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> I currently have my system booting Windows XP installed on a 40
>> Gig IDE
>> drive.  I'm going to add an 80 Gig IDE drive to the system, and
>> plan to
>> RHEL on it.   I'd ultimately like to make RH the primary OS and be
>> able to
>> boot the existing installation of XP in a window within RH (not
>> dual-boot).
>>
>> I presume there is a program within RH or the Linux world to
>> permit this?
>>
>> I initially thought of VMWare, but that is a self-contained
>> software computer.
>
> Not sure I understand why you're excluding VMWare - what you're
> describing
> is exactly what VMWare does. I'm not positive, but VMWare may be the
> only one of the bunch that will run an OS installed on a partition,
> without requiring you to create a virtual drive on the host system's
> filesystem.
>
> Nathan
>

>> What are my options?

Just to muddy the waters a bit more...

If you're _really_ trying not to have to deal with reinstalling
Windows, you can use VMWare to run Linux under Windows... a Virtual
Machine with a Linux guest.  Naturally, that's not all that
attractive to anyone on this list (myself included), but it in an
option.

_KMP