[BBLISA] Suggestions for a documentation system

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Thu Oct 20 17:24:13 EDT 2005

miah <miah at chia-pet.org> wrote re wikis:

> Thats what I've done.. its very handy.  Any web-browser can view the
> docs, you can set access controls on who can read/write/edit docs, you
> get revision control.  I use moinmoin and am very happy, it stores all
> its data in files.  I believe MediaWiki stores all its data in mysql and
> you get all the same features.

I second MoinMoin.  (Though it would be nice if it supported keeping old
revisions in RCS, rather than keeping every revision in its own file.)
I've been burned by programs that use databases to store information,
because then if the program dies for some reason, your data is trapped
inside the database.  If one is a database expert, perhaps this is not a
problem, but I'm not a db expert, so I prefer ascii files.