[BBLISA] Console access for OS X xservers?

Betsy Schwartz betsys at gsd.harvard.edu
Wed May 11 12:24:53 EDT 2005

What are you all using for console access to X Serves? I've inherited four
OS X 10.3 xserves and am getting a crash course in OS X administration.

Right now two of our xserve's are on a Belkin KVM switch with a PS/2
keyboard which means that in order to use the startup key commands I
have to unplug the keyboard and plug in a USB keyboard and reboot. Not
optimal.

I am putting VNC on the servers for remote access but that is only helpful
for when they're *up*.

The other alternative is the Cyclades Alterpath console servers which we
use for the unix machines, but then I have *no* idea how to get to the
startup commands when the machine isn't bootable (other than plugging in an
iBook, which is what I did last time to unmunge a server) . Is serial
console access sufficient for an X serve?

Suggestions and Clue Bonks welcome.
thanks, Betsy

Betsy Schwartz                                                    email:
betsys at gsd.harvard.edu
Unix Systems Administrator,CRG                           voice: 617-495-5947
Harvard Graduate School of Design                         fax:    617-496-5866