[BBLISA] outbound ports 8080/40443 firewall question

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Jun 30 16:05:41 EDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Eric J. Hansen wrote:

> It's a long story, but it has to do with load balancing.
> The main concern is we want to make sure that general end-users won't
> have problems getting to the site through their personal/corporate
> firewalls.

Some will. For example, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York has such
restrictions. I suggest you take your existing home page and put links to
two 1x1 gifs where one of the gifs is at port 80 and one at 8080 for a few
days. Then look at your logs and compare the number of IP addresses that
download each gif. You might even look at the RDNS names and see if a
pattern emerges.