[BBLISA] outbound ports 8080/40443 firewall question

Eric J. Hansen ehansen at worldmachine.com
Thu Jun 30 15:39:15 EDT 2005

We're looking at setting up a special website on alternate TCP ports
such as 8080 and 40443 (i.e., http://www.mysite.com:8080).  This would be
accessible by the Internet at large, and ideally as many end users as
possible. My question to the group has to do with corporate and/or personal
firewalls -- namely, do you think these (or similar non-standard) ports are
likely to be blocked so end users can't browse to these URL's?

I looked through some docs about the Microsoft XP personal firewall as
well as ZoneAlarm, but couldn't find a definitive list of what outbound
TCP ports would be allowed (not cause an alert/pop-up.)

thanks
Eric