[BBLISA] Re: group file limitation

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 22:03:45 EDT 2005

It was pointed out that I didn't really give enough info.  My fault,
it was a bit rushed when I sent the mail.

The system is a Red Hat Advanced Server 3 install, uname -rv replies:
2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003

It is setup with NIS, which is partially why we have to use a
secondary group.  The primary group already has requirements on it.

Unfortunately the limitation comes from needing to match up group IDs
because of ClearCase (the system in question is a view server.)  It
should be said that that is about all I know about that part of the
system (I know some ClearCase, but not the requirments of a view
server.)  I was told they have to be in group X with id Y, so that is
what was done.  I'll have to check to see if the name of the group
matters or if its just the Id.

The only thing that really fits the bill is the duel groups, but if
the name matters....  Does that solution "behave oddly" under Linux?

I didn't know that NIS groups had a larger limit.  I guess that would
put off the problem for a little while.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Eric