[BBLISA] CPU/Memory test for Dell PowerEdge?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Tue Jul 26 13:38:24 EDT 2005

Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a free CPU/Memory intensive testing program for a Dell
> Poweredge 2500.

The canonical way to test the CPU and memory subystems among
overclockers is the program Prime95.  It wasn't originally designed for
this purpose -- it's designed for searching for Mersenne primes -- but
it has a testing mode built into it to make sure that your computer is
up to the task and won't generate erronious results.  The test mode
beats on your CPU and memory so hard that it typically turns up any
problems within a few hours.  I've had computers fail Prime95's
stability test that have never shown any other symptoms, even when
running other CPU or memory intensive programs.  Prime95 really heats up
your CPU more than most programs.  If your computer passes Prime95's
tests for 24 hours, then there most probably is nothing wrong with your
CPU or memory.

I've found Prime95 to be much more effective than Memtest86 in finding
memory problems too (i.e., I've had computers fail Prime95's tests
quickly, while Memtest86 would run for days on the same computer and
never turn up a problem), and unlike Memtest86, running Prime95 doesn't
require shutting down your computer.