[BBLISA] SPF and DomainKeys

Sean Lutner sean at rentul.net
Fri Jan 14 19:34:39 EST 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Steven M. Jones wrote:

> Alex Aminoff wrote:
>>
>> I will look into SPF and domain keys There are some other
>> initiatives along those lines as well - has anyone implemented
>> any of them? Does anyone have any informed guesses as to which
>> one(s) will survive and be generally adopted?
>
> There are many large sites using Sender-ID/SPF already, and some
> others like Google's GMail are using both. I'm running the free
> sendmail milters for both quite happily here. Outbound I use DK
> but haven't bothered publishing SPF records yet. However to date
> I don't know of any large corporations that have incorporated
> these checks into their spam scoring. I don't think many of the
> commercial anti-spam vendors have gotten that out to their
> customers yet. Could be wrong, though -- anybody else hearing
> otherwise?

AOL has SPF records published and is checking for them inbound. There
are some large broadband providers which may have plans for a full SPF
implementation soon. :) As for vendors including support in their
products, many seem to be taking a wait and see attitude. Most are
waiting to see what comes out of places like the IETF, MARID (now
defunct), MASS, and the MAAWG. I've had contact with a number of
companies (ironport, brightmail, openwave, etc) that have said they'll
support whatever the industry wants, including SPF and DK.

> I think both systems are going to be around for a while. SPF
> appeals to many many people because it seems like a quick hit
> without a lot of work. I think DK is possibly a better solution,
> but some of that is bias due to people screaming and shouting
> that SPF is the greatest thing to be invented since the wheel.
> While I'm a big fan of the wheel, I'm less enchanted with people
> who shout at me...

If people are familiar with SPF and DK, check out IIM from Cisco,
which, imho, incorporates the best of both worlds.

http://identifiedmail.sourceforge.net/