[BBLISA] SPF and DomainKeys

Steven M. Jones smj at crash.com
Fri Jan 14 14:31:59 EST 2005

Alex Aminoff wrote:

> I will look into SPF and domain keys There are some other
> initiatives along those lines as well - has anyone implemented
> any of them? Does anyone have any informed guesses as to which
> one(s) will survive and be generally adopted?

There are many large sites using Sender-ID/SPF already, and some
others like Google's GMail are using both. I'm running the free
sendmail milters for both quite happily here. Outbound I use DK
but haven't bothered publishing SPF records yet. However to date
I don't know of any large corporations that have incorporated
these checks into their spam scoring. I don't think many of the
commercial anti-spam vendors have gotten that out to their
customers yet. Could be wrong, though -- anybody else hearing
otherwise?

I think both systems are going to be around for a while. SPF
appeals to many many people because it seems like a quick hit
without a lot of work. I think DK is possibly a better solution,
but some of that is bias due to people screaming and shouting
that SPF is the greatest thing to be invented since the wheel.
While I'm a big fan of the wheel, I'm less enchanted with people
who shout at me...

Anyway, hope that helps. As you're implementing one or the
other solution, you can check to see if it's working by sending
test messages to an autoresponder at <sa-test at sendmail.net>,
and you'll receive a report about what it found. I wrote the
code for that just before I left Sendmail, Inc.

Hope that helps,
--Steve.