[BBLISA] Someone is out to get me - spam pretending to be from me

Tabor J. Wells twells at fsckit.net
Fri Jan 14 14:58:47 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:56:24PM -0500,
alex at basespace.net <alex_aminoff at alum.mit.edu> is thought to have said:

> > As others have already pointed out, The name "info.lifename.com" can
> > come from sources other than reverse DNS including outright forgery of
> > the email headers.
>
> You are correct, I jumped the gun on that one. I assumed that the received:
> line listing it was generated by hotmail, but I was misremembering how mail
> headers work. In fact,
>
> [alex at halifax ~]$ host 151.203.48.240
> 240.48.203.151.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
> adsl-151-203-48-240.bostma.adsl.bellatlantic.net.
>
> > Is it possible your customer is the spammer?
>
> Well, I know them, and I am quite confident that they are not, but again,
> you don't.

eh? Through July of last year they were quite proficient spammers. I
regularly got spammed by them in 2003 and 2004. Here's a few samples from
news.admin.net-abuse.*:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=lifename.com+group:news.admin.net-abuse.*&start=0&scoring=d&

And here's the headers for the last one I received to an address which only
appears on the smarterliving.com (now smartertravel.com) website: