[BBLISA] Someone is out to get me - spam pretending to be from me

alex@basespace.net alex_aminoff at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 14 13:56:24 EST 2005

> As others have already pointed out, The name "info.lifename.com" can
> come from sources other than reverse DNS including outright forgery of
> the email headers.

You are correct, I jumped the gun on that one. I assumed that the received:
line listing it was generated by hotmail, but I was misremembering how mail
headers work. In fact,

[alex at halifax ~]$ host 151.203.48.240
240.48.203.151.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
adsl-151-203-48-240.bostma.adsl.bellatlantic.net.

> Is it possible your customer is the spammer?

Well, I know them, and I am quite confident that they are not, but again,
you don't.

However I am much calmer now that I've realized that the header info
pointing to me is just forged. Anyone can forge anything in email headers
and it means (or should mean) very little.

I will look into SPF and domain keys There are some other initiatives along
those lines as well - has anyone implemented any of them? Does anyone have
any informed guesses as to which one(s) will survive and be generally
adopted?

 - Alex Aminoff
   BaseSpace.net