[BBLISA] Data recovery lessons?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Thu Feb 17 16:21:09 EST 2005

Alfred> I agree 100% with that - makes you look like a true wizard as
Alfred> well. That technique saved my butt when I worked at
Alfred> Westinghouse - we thought we had lost a drive but a switched
Alfred> controller board saved the day.

I'll second that.  We had a two disk failure on a NetApp and I was
able to fix the issue enough with the various spares they had shipped
in to get the system back up without any data loss.  Lots of downtime,
but no data loss.

While the heads/motors/bearings die the most, it's not unlikely that
it's the controller board that's got the problem.

John