[BBLISA] Kind of moving to Boston

Dima dima at emc.com
Fri Sep 24 16:45:26 EDT 2004

I am personaly walking or biking to my office;
it's three miles. There are days when I am afraid
of doing it. Like after and during strong rain and
after snowfall.

Also, my office has a shower which I can use when
I get there. Does yours?

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Tabor J. Wells wrote:
>
> > Well, honestly it can be kind of hard to work in Waltham without a car. The
> > area where all of the tech companies inhabit is kind of spread out and
> > filled with office parks near I-95. If you're a biker it's probably not a
> > big deal, but we're also coming up on the winter season which could make
> > things pretty difficult w/o a car.
>
> I definitely plan on using my bike as much as possible, but I also
> understand that it gets cold in the winter.  I've ridden in the cold
> before, but I might feel less confident in the middle of January.

Our roads are winding and narrow, drivers are fast
and furious and ice is thick and long-lasting (in
winter time). Use your bike, but keep car
handy. There are no sidewalks in many places.

> I definitely am not excited about the location of the company -- it
> definitely complicates living without a car.  Oh well, I didn't choose it.
>
> > The problem about wanting to live more central to Boston and live without a
> > car while working near I-95 is that the public transportation to that area
> > isn't really that good. Sometimes, though, the companies in that area have
> > regular shuttles from public transportation points.
> >
> > In any case, downtown Waltham is a decent area (which isn't terribly close
> > the office park areas -- its on the inside of the I-95 loop). Watertown is
> > another option that lies between Cambridge and Waltham.
>
> It's not that I don't think Waltham would be nice, it's just that I'd be
> concerned that I'd spend most of my life there because it's on the edge of
> the Boston area, so it's a bit further from everything.  If I instead
> lived somewhere like Watertown, I'd still only be a few miles from work,
> but I'd also be only a few miles from almost everything else, which'd be
> great.
>
> > I'd recommend you go to mapquest and searching on "3rd ave" (that's
> > basically Prospect Hill) in Waltham and then zoom out a bit to get a feel
> > for what you're dealing with. Then look at www.mbta.com's maps schedules are
> > to see what your public transportation options are and how long it'll take
> > to get there from somewhere more centrally located.
>
> Yeah, I've been looking at the maps a lot; I guess I'll now start studying
> the public transportation.

Is there T in Watertown?
If it is not, you can just as well live in
Waltham.