[BBLISA] Diskspace monitoring suggestions.

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Mon Sep 13 19:18:25 EDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Michael C Tiernan wrote:

> On Sun September 12 2004 17:45, Dean Anderson wrote:
>  > It depends on what you mean by 'monitoring'.
> Thank you for replying (everyone).
>
> I'm being asked[1] for:
>  2) An X-Y graph of part of a file system, preferably, one graph
>     for each user (10+/-) space showing use and change.
>     Realistically, this should be done (for some, and thereby
>     preferably all, of the users) once an hour.  This is the hard
>     one.  Some of the users have SO much space that a 'du' (we

"quota -v" is what you want. Just for curiosities sake, I did:

   cd /home;quota -v * >/tmp/file.foo

on a partition with about 900 home directories. It took 23 seconds of real
time and 8 seconds of cpu time on a 300mHz Solaris box communicating with
an ancient NetApp of 350 gigabytes or so over a 100BaseTX link. So once an
hour wouldn't be a problem. I don't think the size of the filesystem is
important, though, only the number of users.

Of course, for this to work you need to enable quotas.

The output of quota doesn't look too hard to parse.

[Note that the quota command is looking for a list of users, not
directories, but in our /home all the directory names are user names, so
the above wildcard does what we want.]

Daniel Feenberg